29905560

I've recently been given a written warning at work. I want

Hi Pearl, I've recently been given a written warning at work. I want to leave and I'm concerned that it will scupper my chances with potential employers. My name is Rich
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I don't think I can argue with the warning, I did fail to do some things I should have.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just under 5 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is there anyone there?

Have you appealed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is absolutely no point in that, it will fail
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my concern is how it will effect future employment

What industry do you work in? Please note I am in tribunal so may not be able to reply fully until later this afternoon thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm a developer in an IT small IT company. The warning was about not responding to emails from bosses. Is is undeniably true that this is the case.

Thanks for your patience. Having a written warning at work is not that serious of a matter. I understand that you agree with the reasons for the warning and that you think appealing is pointless, which is fine. In terms of the way it may affect your future employment you have to think how this warning may become known to a future employer. First of all there is no central database or point for employers to refer to in order to find out what an employee’s disciplinary record is like. So they will be relying solely on disclosure by their previous employer or the employee themselves. An employer will not automatically disclose previous disciplinary warnings and that may usually only happen if they are asked directly to do so in a reference request. Also without being asked directly, an employer should not disclose warning which are no longer considered ‘live’. A warning is usually only valid for a specified period of time, such as 6 or 12 months and after that it should no longer be considered or included in a reference, unless specifically asked whether there were ever any warnings issued against the employee. So it is certainly not as bad as you may think it is and over time the potential issues with this warning will diminish and even disappear.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.