29905560

I have been dismissed by my employer with out my fault.

Customer Question

hi, i have been dismissed by my employer with out my fault.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you provide some background information on the circumstances that have led to your dismissal? Please can you also tell me how long you had worked there for? Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have worked for 3 and half year, i was dismissed with out my problem, i am working in burger king, and one day my colleagues put fire out side the the building , it was just a small fire, i just watched it. the company saying that i have not reported it,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
actually i was not there when they started the fire, i saw the fire when i went for my break . when i went out side there were my colleagues watching fire. now the company saying i did not put the fire out and i have not reported it to any one.

Hi there. Thank you for your response and for the live phone call request. I am unable to talk at the moment as I am in court today but please leave it with me; I will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, is there any special charge for the phone advice ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i had no fire training, but they showed me a fire training certificate with a signature which is not my signature,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my number*************@******.***

Many thanks. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks for your patience. There is an extra charge for a phone call so I will continue in writing instead. If an employee has been continuously employed with their employer for at least 2 years they will be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that to fairly dismiss them their employer has to show that there was a potentially fair reason for dismissal and that a fair dismissal procedure was followed.

According to the Employment Rights Act 1996 there are five separate reasons that an employer could use to show that a dismissal was fair: conduct, capability, redundancy, illegality or some other substantial reason (SOSR). The employer will not only need to show that the dismissal was for one of those reasons, but also justify that it was appropriate and reasonable to use in the circumstances. In addition, they need to ensure that a fair dismissal procedure was followed and this would depend on which of the above reasons they used to dismiss.

In this case they appear to be relying on misconduct, which is a common reason for taking disciplinary action and it is also a potentially fair reason for dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996. It could be a single act of serious misconduct or a series of less serious acts over a period of time.

In order to justify that dismissal on grounds of misconduct was fair, the law requires that the employer:

· Conducts a reasonable investigation;

· Follows a fair disciplinary procedure;

· Has reasonable grounds for believing the employee was guilty; and

· Show that dismissal was a decision that a reasonable employer would have taken in the circumstances.

In addition, the employer is expected to follow the ACAS Code of Practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures. Altogether, it means that a disciplinary procedure should be conducted as follows:

1. Investigation - a reasonable investigation is needed. What is reasonable depends entirely on the circumstances and especially the nature and seriousness of the allegations. The more serious these are, the more detailed the investigation needs to be.

2. Disciplinary hearing - if the investigation provides sufficient evidence of misconduct, the employee may be invited to attend a formal disciplinary hearing. They must be given prior notice of the hearing, including details of the allegations, allowing them time to prepare. They have the legal right to be accompanied at the hearing but only by a trade union representative or a colleague.

3. Decision and penalty - following the disciplinary, if the employer holds a genuine belief that the employee was guilty, then they can go ahead and dismiss. When deciding on whether dismissal is appropriate, the employer should consider the nature and seriousness of the offence and the employee's length of service and disciplinary record. They also need to act with a degree of consistency if other employees have previously been disciplined over similar issues. Unless the offence was one of gross misconduct, ACAS recommends that the employee should be issued with a written warning.

In summary, an employer is not expected to prove that the alleged misconduct had definitely occurred. Disciplinary action will be fair if the employer can show that it had conducted a reasonable investigation, followed a fair procedure and held a genuine belief that the employee was guilty. Finally, it must show that the penalty was a reasonable action to take in the circumstances and one that a reasonable employer would have taken.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you have to follow to challenge the dismissal further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, there was an investigation and I have explained my situation. Employer saying that I have a legal responsibility to inform the management about the fire.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There were no incidents and misconduct or any problems from my side for the last 3 years.

There is no automatic legal responsibility to have informed them of the fire. Obviously if it was affecting the safety of the store there may have been an expectation for you to do this to deal with a potential risk but unless you had a specific contractual obligation or something under another policy then there would have been no automatic obligation. As mentioned I can discuss the options you have on taking this further, if you could please leave your rating then I can continue, thanks

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you