29905560

I have been given 1 month's notice today, do I have to work

Customer Question

I have been given 1 month's notice today, do I have to work till September 30th? as from then I am being paid two weeks into October but not needed to work ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Is the employer expecting you to work until the end of the month?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but not other two of the notice? And other people previously made redundant didn't have to work
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

It would not matter what has happened to others in the past unfortunately - each person is treated separately and the employer can decide who they release straight away and who they want to stay working for them. As far as your legal position is concerned, if you are issued with notice of termination you are expected to work for the full notice period. If you refuse to do so then you would be in breach of contract and the employer does not have t pay you for it, and it may also affect your redundancy. If they do not want to let you work during the notice period they can release you early by paying you in lieu if notice. They can decide whether to waive the requirement for the whole notice period or just part of it. If they have decided that they need you for 2 weeks and then pay you for the remaining 2 weeks without you having to work then they can do that. If you refuse to work during that period they will not pay you and they could say that you had left in breach of contract and potentially dismiss you for misconduct, which means that you would no longer be made redundant and could lose any redundancy pay due. So it is best to work the notice period as requested by the employer.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you