29905560

Can my employer ban us from taking a single days annual

Can my employer ban us from taking a single days annual leave at a time ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
8 years

OK thank you. Please can you also provide some background information on your situation. I will then review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here after you have done this as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I works as a team of receptionists we are all part time ,working many different hours and days between us ,any annual leave is covered within the team by a rota that is put on a wall and we put our names on shifts we wish to work , management are going to implement a ruling that we can't take single days we will have to take a weeks leave the reasoning is to stop the same people having the same days off i.e..a Friday as they are the most popular day to book and most difficult to cover !

What the employer is doing is possible. Under the Working Time Regulations an employer has the right to reject a worker’s request for annual leave as long as they give them the specified notice period, which under law must be at least as long as the leave requested. So if someone asks for one day holiday, the employer can refuse that request, without having to provide any reason for doing so, by giving them at least 1 day’s notice before the leave is due to be taken. This notice could be in the form of a notice in the contract or some policy. For example employers force employees to take holidays over Christmas or other periods of shutdown and contain this requirement in their contracts. A similar thing could be applied here where they just put in a blanket policy about this which means they would automatically be rejecting such requests and as it is almost certain such policy would have been put in place more than a day before the leave due to be taken, it would have discharged the employer’s obligation to give that notice period to reject any requests of single day holidays by employees.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you