29905560

The company I have worked for for 9 years suddenly lost

The company I have worked for for 9 years suddenly lost business and know one from management was telling us what was going on so I had to find another job so I had an income. Then found out the companies work was been sold to another company and now they are paying redundancy. Could you tell me if I would be entitled to redundancy even though I had to find another job because know one from management said what was goin on.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago did you leave your previous employer?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The last day I worked for them was the 29th September.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. Thankyou.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry I put the wrong month . The last day I worked for them was the 28th July .' asleep

Thank you and no problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity

Many thanks for your patience. As a starting point because you resigned, you would not be entitled to any compensation or redundancy. You would only have been entitled to redundancy if you were actually made redundant by the company but you appear to have jumped the gun here and resigned before that happened. Whilst the company may have lost business, there would not have been an immediate requirement on them to tell you what was happening. There could have been various matters ongoing in the background, such as the company trying to find new business, trying to move parts of it elsewhere or sell it to someone new. They could have waited until they knew what was happening before they communicated the position with their employees. So without any confirmation that your job was at risk, your decision to resign may have been somewhat premature. I completely understand why you thought you had to do it but from a legal perspective if you did not resign the employer would have eventually had to either make you redundant or transfer you to another company if they sold that part of the business so you would have likely been entitled to the redundancy then. However, by resigning you have placed yourself out of the running for redundancy and legally would no longer be entitled to any redundancy pay as the reason for your termination was resignation, rather than redundancy.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thankyou.

you are most welcome