29905560

My employer as made my role redundant. They called me for a

Customer Question

My employer as made my role redundant. They called me for a meeting and told me that I lost my job. They told me how they would calculate my redundancy pay. In the second meeting a week later they told me the amount - which was not equal to the calculation. They have now called me into the third meeting, where they will ask me to sign the compromised agreement. They have not however laid out the terms and conditions for me in a letter or in a written format where I can consult a solicitor for advice.
What are they legally obliged to do? Should they be laying out the terms of the compromised agreement for me in writing? Or can they ask me to sign it there and then without giving me the chance to seek solicitor's advice?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
27 yrs

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. For a compromise agreement (now called a settlement agreement) to be valid, you must have taken advice from a qualified professional. This means that the agreement is not going to be legally binding until you have seen a solicitor and they have advised you in relation to what you are signing and how it would impact you. So whilst there is nothing stopping the employer from trying to offer you some sort of settlement without giving you the terms in advance or allowing you to seek legal advice, it will not be a binding settlement agreement and you can still make a claim against them for unfair dismissal or redundancy if needed. So you should remind them that if they wanted this to be a binding settlement agreement, they must give you a draft agreement for you to take to a solicitor and be properly advised before you decide on whether to accept it or not.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.