29905560

I may have to give up work because of chronic pain in the

I may have to give up work because of chronic pain in the joints of my hands I'm awaiting an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon to see what happens next I have been with this firm for 27 years as a butcher and it's a very physical position and deal with very cold temperatures at times I would like to know if I did have to give up work what are my options . Many thanks Mike .
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Has your actually work caused the issues that are forcing you to give up work?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thinks so as I do many all the work with my hands every day I do not do any thing outside work witch would cause this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It can only be due to my work as I have worked with this firm for 27 years next Feb

The first thing to consider is whether you can be retired on health grounds by the employer instead of just resigning. This could allow you to draw out your pension early and perhaps get some benefits which you may have not been able to had you resigned.

In terms of what you can do against the employer then the only possible way to pursue this would be under a personal injury claim. You would be claiming that trough the employer’s negligence you suffered the issues you are experiencing now. However, you would have to show that they should have known of the potential effects of the work you did and that they did not take measures to reduce these risks, when it would have been reasonably expected of them to do so. As it can get complex in such claims it is best if you see a personal injury solicitor to see what your chances of a successful claim are. Many such lawyers can offer a free initial consultation to determine your case. You may wish to do that before you consider approaching the employer with a potential offer of a settlement.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you