29905560

Can you use article 6 human rights for the unfair

Can you use article 6 human rights for the unfair disciplinary hearing for employment cases ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Are you employed by a public sector employer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Article 6 provides certain basic human rights, including the right to a fair trial. Therefore, thee have been attempts to argue that an unfair disciplinary process in employment would breach the basic right to have a fair trial. However, this has been through the courts in the past and they have ruled that Article 6 does not apply to internal disciplinary proceedings in employment settings.

In the latest case involving an NHS Trust, the Court of Appeal decided that disciplinary proceedings did not engage Article 6 as they involved the employer exercising a contractual power and not the determination of a civil right.

Therefore, the fairness of disciplinary proceedings is not a human rights issue and will be determined by what is contractually in place and under usual fairness requirements such as the ACAS Code and general principles determining fairness of dismissals.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you