29905560

Can the employer demand an employee to disclose a private

Can the employer demand an employee to disclose a private conversation they have with the external auditors?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. What was the nature of the conversation?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was reporting a manager for breaching the regulatory rules and for his reckless negligent behaviour. The same person that I reported wanted to know what I was saying to the auditors.

The nature of such conversations would be confidential so you would not have to disclose what you reported to the auditors. It is also likely that this may amount to a protected disclosure (i.e. whistleblowing) so this would also be protected under privilege and you would not have to disclose details of the complaint you made unless asked to do so in a court of law. So if the employer is asking you to disclose the conversation, you can refuse to do so based on the above principles.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you