I am an apprentice who has had probems in the work place and

Customer Question

I am an apprentice who has had probems in the work place and raised the issue with my line manager who has failed to resolve my problems. I have now brought the problems to the attention of a director of my employer who has told me that iam due for a 12 month review! I am expecting them to take the easy option and tell me that i never came to the required standard rather than deal with the issues I have raised, will i be able to challenge this in a tribunal and is ther any bodies thatcan support me in this situation?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

How long is the apprenticeship for?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I Originally started a college sponsered apprenticeship in December which was for 12-18 months but then got moved onto a franchised apprenticeship in July which is 12 months.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Can you advise me further to my original question?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Thank you also for the live phone call request. I am unable to talk at the moment but leave it with me and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Thanks for your patience. Apprentices are still legally treated as employees so their employment can be terminated if necessary. The apprentice’s rights in this respect will depend on whether they are employed under an apprenticeship agreement or an apprenticeship contract.

An apprenticeship contract automatically exists if an employer has an agreement with an individual the main purpose of which is for that individual to be trained by the employer. However, the apprentice could be employed under an apprenticeship agreement instead and this will give them different rights. For such an agreement to be valid it must be issued in accordance with the Apprenticeships, Skills, Children and Learning Act 2009. So if there was an agreement in place which was issued under this Act, it is likely an apprenticeship agreement would have been created.

If the apprentice as not employed under an agreement, they will get better rights. That is because in addition to a contract of employment, there would be a contract for training for the duration of the apprenticeship. In these circumstances an apprentice can only be dismissed if they were found guilty of serious misconduct or extremely poor performance. They cannot be made redundant. If the apprenticeship is not terminated for these reasons, the apprentice could potentially seek compensation for the loss of earnings under the apprenticeship contract plus the loss of potential future earnings.

However, if they were employed under an apprenticeship agreement, they would be treated in the same manner as employees and will not get the additional protection they would have received had they been employed under an apprenticeship contract. They can be dismissed subject to the usual fair dismissal rules. Most importantly they would not be protected against unfair dismissal if they have less than 2 years service. They would be entitled to their contractual notice period and any accrued holidays but not to any further damages for the loss of opportunities or loss of training.

So as you can see your rights very much depend on what type of agreement you were employed under and if you can identify that please then I can consider your further rights in more detail.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have based on the type of apprenticeship you have, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 21 days ago.

Hello, my response should be visible on this page. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you