29905560

I am working 32 hours per week (flexible hours) My manager

I am working 32 hours per week (flexible hours)My manager has told me that I have to work 7 hrs per day with 0.5hr break to get my 6.5 hoursPlease would you mind confirming if this is correct or if I am to work 6.00 hours with 0.5 break foe the 6.5 hours per week or to work straight through
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Ben thank you

Hi there. Please can you clarify how many hours you work per day at the moment?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was working 40 per week but returned from maternity leave and requested 32 hrs per week. We agreed that I would still work 5 days which is 6.5 hours per day

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. When you are on a break you are not actually working and this does not automatically get included in your working hours. Breaks are not paid by law and they do not form part of your working hours. The employer can decide to include them in your working hours but they do not have to. What would be important here is what arrangement you had before you changed your hours. You say you worked for 40 hours so I assume it was 8 hours per day for 5 days. If you worked 8 hours and took your breaks as part of this total amount (e.g. working 7 hours and getting an hour break), then the same should apply now (working 6h with 0.5h break). However, if you used to work 8 hours and then a break on top of that, then the same should apply now – work 6.5h and get 0.5h break).

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Ben for getting back to me, it does answer it.

you are welcome, all the best