29905560

You agree to exclude your right to limit working time to 48

You agree to exclude your right to limit working time to 48 hours per week on average under the Working Time Regulations 1998, subject to your right to revoke this elect on 3 months prior written notice.Is it ok to have the above clause in our contracts of employment
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is this for new employee's or existing?

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - Is this for new employees or existing ones?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
New employees. Existing employees will keep the same contract
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Basically our old contracts have this clause but I'm not sure it's legally correct to say this? Do we need to remove this? I thought you couldn't ask employees to waive their rights re working time directive?Thanks
Vicki

The clause is fine. The standard clause I use is the following, which is more or less the same:

I agree that the statutory maximum average working time of 48 hours a week shall not apply to my employment with [NAME OF EMPLOYER] and that my average working time may therefore exceed 48 hours a week.

Signed .................................

by [WORKER'S NAME]

Date ................................

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you