taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Could I hand in my notice whilst being on sick leave

Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for your employer for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I been there for14 months
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.

Are you being paid sick leave?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do get paid sick pay.
Company sick pay
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.

thanks, ***** ***** nothing at law to prevent you from doing this, the employer would have to continue to pay the sick pay for the notice period unless there is something in your contract which states that it is not payable if you are working a notice period so this may be worth checking.

I you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to rate my answer, thank you and all the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you,I have read my contract and company hand book and there's nothing in it about this only the fact about how much notice is required.
Would I get a bad reference though?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.

They cannot give a an untrue reference if you do this but they can refer to the fact you have handed in notice whilst of on sick leave as that would be factually correct. You can ask them to confirm what the reference will say when you hand in your notice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answers.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.

No problem, all the best.