29905560

I was about to have my final redundancy meeting last

Customer Question

I was about to have my final redundancy meeting last Tuesday. It was cancelled with no explanation at 7pm Monday night. I was summoned to a meeting wher I found out that type may apply and I will have no choice but to work for this other company or resign and lose my redundancy. I have been off work with work stress since early June. This whole procedure is making me worse not better. Where do I stand? I have spoken to HR and they are going to see if they can get me a settlement agreement providing I don't tell any colleagues and don't go to a tribunal. I would be happy with this but it does imply that maybe I would have a case to go to tribunal.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

How long have you been working for this company for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9 and a half years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9yrs 6 months. I don't know if you are getting my answers.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am I will reply shortly, thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

The fact that they are trying to prevent you from going to a tribunal does not necessarily mean that there is likely a case there, it is just a clean break for both parties and peace of mind for the employer that this is the end of any potential issues with you. Of course it could be that there is a potential claim but based on the very limited information I have it is difficult to tell you if that is the case. What would happen however is that if you are willing to consider the settlement agreement, to make it valid you would have to go and see a solicitor in person, who would look at the terms of the agreement and consider the overall situation and advise if it is reasonable to accept it. If you think that there is a claim and have been told of this then you are not bound to accept the offer and can continue negotiating for more, using these arguments as leverage. So there is still an opportunity to seek formal legal advice before you are able to sign it and make it binding.

As to TUPE, that is not something that the employer can make a decision on and whether they keep you or you have to move to the new employer – this happens automatically if the criteria for TUPE are met, such as the transfer of a business or a service.

It sounds like you are most likely to consider a settlement so indicate your preference for this then go and see a solicitor, which the employer should pay for and consider if this is indeed a good deal for you to leave under, then make the final decision.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.