29905560

My employer deducted my award money for the dinner I didn't

My employer deducted my award money for the dinner I didn't have as I was ill. Can they do that ? and how do I claim it back?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. What do you mean by award money for dinner please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Team was aworded money from the main office that was divided among the staff. Managment deducted £100 from everyone to have a staff

Sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. Did they deduct this money from your pay? Are you still working for them?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The team was awarded £5000 for the best team for year, 2015. They received the financial reward in May 2015. There are 5 people in the team so each of us should have received £1000. However, managers decided to use some of the money for the team dinner to which I did not attend as I was off work on a long term sickness. They went to have dinner without me and they did not want to wait till I get better. Since May I have not received my financial reward. When I disclosed my schedule of losses to Employment Tribunal I have included the reward money that they haven't given it to me. After my disclosure of documents on the 7 October 2016, I have received the letter from the employer that the team just received they reward money in voucher and that I will be entitled £830 which is less from original price money. They have also said that some of the reward money has been spent on dinner and that they are sorry that I have not attend. I find the letter to be sarcastic as they all well knew that I was off on a long term sickness. I was also upset that they spent my money on their dinner. I'm trying to explain all this to them but someone told me that I may sound greed. However, I just want what belongs to me. Could you please advise how to approach such issue?

Thank you. if the award was specifically given to the team they it does not automatically mean you each get £1,000 – it would be the team that gets £5,000 as a whole. There is a distinct difference between the two – it is not an individual award it is a team one. So the team could have gone out for dinner as a team and spent the money on it even if you had not attended – that does not mean that you can claim back the money for the dinner. You are part of the team and the team was out and if you could not have made it that does not allow you automatically to claim your share back – as this was not an individual award. So it is not about greed, but that getting something back which was spent by the team in general when they had the right to do it may not be accepted by the courts as a valid claim.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'