29905560

The company I work for are forcing me into a sco course.

The company I work for are forcing me into a sco course. I've explained I get stressed with courses but there still getting me to do. Do I have to do.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im also self employed but have worked for h smith 3yrs. also the course is not relevant for my job.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Does your contract say anything about this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have a contract

Hi there, whilst no one can physically force you to attend this course, if the employer is asking you to do so and they are adamant that you have to attend, failure to do so could place your job at risk. This is mainly because you are self employed and as such have no protection against unfair dismissal. So they could legally terminate your employment without having to provide any reasons for it or follow a fair procedure, simply by issuing you with notice of termination as per your contract, or in the absence of such notice in there, by giving you reasonable notice.

So this would be the main risk for you here. I am of course not saying that this is what would happen if you were to refuse to attend but I am just giving you worst case scenario which is possible in this case. You should try and continue negotiating with the employer over this and make it clear that this is not just because you do not want to attend but that it is really due to how it is affecting you psychologically and that they should be more understanding and flexible in the circumstances.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.