29905560

I have just been given notice that my position is likely to

I have just been given notice that my position is likely to be come redundant but the letter doesn't mention them looking for any other employment within the company or that i can take someone with me to the next meeting. Is this a correct procedure?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you tell me how long you have worked there for?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
24 Years

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. First of all there is no legal right to take anyone with you at any redundancy meetings, be it consultation ones or the final redundancy meeting. This right only applies to formal grievance and disciplinary hearings and a redundancy meeting is neither of these. Many employers do allow you to be accompanied but this is discretionary so they can refuse to allow you to bring anyone if they wanted to.

Secondly when it comes to looking for alterative employment there is a duty on them to do this, even if they do not specifically mention it. So do not necessarily assume that failing to mention it means they are not looking for any jobs within the company. This should be discussed at any consultation meetings which they should hold with you and you can ask for a progress update of the available opportunities at any time.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If nothing is mentioned regarding alternative employment which as yet it has not been is there anything that i can do?

You can raise a grievance with the employer or simply mention it at your consultation meeting with them – after all that is what consultation meetings are for