29905560

4 weeks ago I had my grievance against my manager upheld for

Customer Question

4 weeks ago I had my grievance against my manager upheld for 'bullying and intimidation'. He did not appear the decision. I have just been told that he has now lodged one against me for bullying and I have to attend a meeting tomorrow morning. I am just wondering whether he can make a counter claim like this so quickly after mine was upheld and how I should tackle this meeting tomorrow morning. I thought it was all over.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I work for a small charity - the grievance I lodged was after a period of bullying where he continuously criticised me and pressured me in to decisions that would have a negative impact on my department. The grievance outcome found that he did intimidate me but was unaware of how he affects people and that he did hold me at a disadvantage in my work but that he thought he was doing the right thing. There were a number of recommendations made. He has not been in the office for the last 4 weeks since then and now suddenly has accused me of bullying him - I've been given no other details and have just been told to attend a meeting with 3 HR consultants tomorrow morning.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Please can you clarify, how long after this outcome your manager has made this claim exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The outcome was on 21st September 2016 - so a month
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Many thanks for your patience. It is certainly possible for someone to raise a counter grievance against you even if yours against them has been upheld. There could be various reasons as to why they may feel bullied and it does not automatically have to be related to the exact grounds which you had raised. So there could be bullying going on both ways – the employer does not know if that is actually the case though so they can investigate. Just because a complaint has been made against you does not mean that you are in any way guilty or have a case to answer.

Just as the employer has a duty to investigate your complaint they have a duty to investigate theirs. So there is nothing specific you need to do at this meeting apart from just be truthful and answer any questions they have for you. Remember that his is just an investigatory meeting – you have not been formally accused of anything, you are not going through a disciplinary and are not expected to defend yourself.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.