29905560

A departmental re-organisation is taking place which

Customer Question

For Ben Jones
A departmental re-organisation is taking place which includes an overall reduction in the number of positions. Everyone has been invited to either apply for a new role (which will then follow a selection process) or to apply for voluntary redundancy. I have selected voluntary redundancy but been told this is being refused. At the same time the company has announced that after this round of redundancy it will reduce the benefits (particularly pension benefits) available for anyone made redundant. I want to leave now before the existing benefits for redundancy are reduced. Is there anything I can do to facilitate this?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
25 years

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. In the circumstances there would be three ways to try and leave:

· One is to apply and be accepted for VR. However, the employer reserves the right to decide who they accept for this and can potentially reject any application, so there are no guarantees.

· Another is if the roles that you are being asked to apply for are not considered suitable alternatives, you can reject them and opt for redundancy instead. There are various factors, which I can discuss, that determine the suitability of a role but if the terms and conditions, job description and so on are relatively similar then it will probably be considered suitable.

· You can resign at any time but obviously will not get any redundancy pay as a result so only do this if you have to leave at all costs.

So if VR is rejected and you do not wish to resign, your best option is to try and find ways of arguing that the new roles you are being asked to apply for are not suitable.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the factors taken into account when determining suitability of other roles. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.