taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Conflict of Interest -- I work for the NHS, however on the

Customer Question

Conflict of Interest -- I work for the NHS, however on the side have been asked to work as Clinical Director with a start up company - however my department maybe working with the start up company in redeveloping their services -- is this a potential conflict of interest, if so what do I need to do as I would really like to work with the start up company.....
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. Is there something in your contract of employment which requires you to solely work for the NHS or to disclose potential conflicts?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've no idea!
Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Well that's the first thing you need to check. Sometimes your contract will stipulate such things, if it prevents you from working for other businesses then you would be in breach of contract if you proceed.

If the contract is silent then the only thing you need to bear in mind is that you owe your employer a duty of fidelity and a duty of trust and confidence. If by becoming a director of this start up you have a personal interest in certain contracts being won by this business (for example), and could influence the decision making then this is going to amount to a conflict as you may not always find it easy to act in the best interests of the employer if another business is also tendering.

I think if you have any doubts, which you obviously do otherwise you wouldn't be asking the question, then it is probably worth having an off the record conversation with the HR department for the Trust or Team you work with, they will soon tell you if this is going to cause a concern from their point of view.

Is there anything further you would like me to clarify for you?

If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Hi Natasha, is there anything further you would like to know at this stage?