29905560

I need help with a legal matter. I was working at a pub

Customer Question

Hi there,
I need help with a legal matter.
I was working at a pub after recently graduating, just coming off antidepressants after going through a deep depression. They were cutting my hours and I couldn't afford to pay bills and rent, but I stayed because I got on well with the other staff. I started having panic attacks about finances as I'm in a lot of student and credit card debt, struggling to find a decent job and get funding for an upcoming PhD. So I stupidly started overcharging customers, underpouring and pocketing the difference, putting extra drinks on people's tabs and then taking the money etc. It was pretty easy because anyone could open the till and take un-stored items off the till. I always made sure the stock wasn't affected, although the stock was atrocious anyway because of the poor standards, with wine being left open and the cellar un-chilled and unventilated, often reaching 30 degrees. I can't be sure what the total amount was, perhaps 1200 over the course of a couple months. My employers saw the CCTV and immediately dismissed me and send their findings to the police, accusing me of theft . The police interviewed me and said they would get beck to me in two weeks. That was over two months ago. The whole ordeal left me with such crippling anxiety I became suicidal again and had to go on extremely high dose pills. A couple of days ago the owner called me asking me to "make him an offer" to stop him from "prosecuting" and taking me to court. I broke down and told him I have nothing, and he told me to borrow money or find some other way because "I'm a big clever girl now" and hung up. I don't know what to do. Any advice or guidance would be a big help
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Realistically are you able to pay back anything?