Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I run an electrical contracting business i subcontracted a

Customer Question

i run an electrical contracting business i subcontracted a job out but the subcontractor approached the client and i ended up losing the contract the client deemed the job to 35% complete and this has been paid to the subcontractor he is now chasing for a further weeks money despite him being on a fixed price for the job. i have not only lost out on the remaining 4k on the job but another job for 7K that i had an order for but had not started my subcontractor has now issued a county court claim is there anything i can do or counter claim for loses i do not want to pay as i would have paid out more than i have been paid
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you have a contract with the sub contractor at all saying its a fixed price please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
only a text stating there is £7k to do the job

And I assume he agreed and started as a result?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
met the guy who gave me the job and went through it and then started, he then did nothing but keep asking about money and extras the client then emailed me to say the customer did not want them back on site, at this stage i had paid out about £2900 but i still was holding an invoice for 900 my client then went to site walked around and assessed the job and said it was 35% complete this equated to what i had paid out my sub contractor is no taking court action for the outstanding 900 bearing in mind i have not been paid this and am not likely too so i lost out on the remaining money on the job and a further 7K job i had an order for

Ok. If it was fixed, you text and it was accepted then he can NOT claim any further fees.

If he has issued a county court claim you can seek a counter claim on the basis you lost contract because of his appalling behaviour.

However any claim below £10,000 will be a small claim and you only need to pay an issue fee, nothing more.

But if he is claiming against you, its worth putting in a counter claim

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what can i counter claim for?

You lost the job. You have not been paid. That is because of the negligence of the sub contractor.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i can claim for the loss of the remaining balance?

Yes you can, or loss of profit.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thats great how would i need to word the counter claim on court paperwork

Just that you wish to claim for the loss of £xxxx resulting from the breach of contract by the Claimant

Does that help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thats great thanks for your help

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!