Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My Employer wants to reduce my wages to zero salary and only

Customer Question

My Employer wants to reduce my wages to zero salary and only commission based payment. I am currently off work on medical leave, and I have been in and out of surgery for the same condition for the last 7 months (2 surgeries plus healing time)I am currently a partner in the company and the salary is effectively a draw-down. Can they just change their decision on how they pay me while I am on medical leave?The story is a little more convoluted as I signed with the company and was suppose to get private medical immediately. Paperwork somehow got lossed and I am dealing with my surgeries through the NHS (wait lists, not immediate care etc)..
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
approximately 1 year

Ok thanks leave it with me please I will reply later this afternoon

Sorry can I just check the nature of the medical issues? Also are you a partner as well as an employee?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a partner as well as an employee, I'm a broker.Upper leg injury where they had to remove a small portion of flesh. Requires constant medical bandage changes, and resting in a position that does not allow sitting..

Ok I might have to pass this on to a colleague due to the more corporate nature of this situation. No need to reply in the meantime thanks

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My colleague has asked me to assist you with this. Do you have a partnership agreement? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi thanks for getting back to me AJ. I do not see it listed in the employment contract. Should I request a copy of the partnership agreement
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In fact it is not a employment contract, it is a partnership agreement. It states that I am not an employee.In would assume all employment law issues are now thrown out?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Not necessarily - are you paid your wages PAYE? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PAYE. The company deducts the taxes.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Regardless of whether you have an employment contract you could still claim you are an employee as well. Is there any way you can block him from stopping the bank paying you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No way whatsoever.. unless I try to speak to HR
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. Do you get a payslip each month? Or do you have anything that says you are self employed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a payslip each month
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, Thank you. If have continually been paid a wage, you may have grounds to allege you are an employee - and therefore they should not just stop paying you. The question is going forward do you intend to return to work or are you looking to leave the partnership? Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ultimately, I would like to continue to work there.. However, I think if they are trying to cut my paycheck, it is a doomed sign.