29905560

I have worked for a company for 5 years, the first 3 years I

Customer Question

I have worked for a company for 5 years, the first 3 years I was a apprentice carpenter, I am now fully qualified, passing all my exams, but I'm still employed as a apprentice 2 years later, I only signed a contract for a 3 year apprenticeship. Are they allowed to keep me as a apprentice?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Are you still getting any training?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, I'm not receiving any training at all.

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query.

An apprentice is someone who is offered a work-based training programme, which lead to nationally recognised qualifications. Once the training finishes and the relevant qualifications are obtained the person is no longer an apprentice – they would become an employee or a contractor, depending on how they are employed.

As an apprentice you are also an employee but once you finish the apprenticeship training you are no longer an apprentice but remain an employee if you continue working for them. So you will have normal employment rights, such as receiving the Minimum Wage for workers as opposed to receiving the minimum wage for apprentices. This is probably the main difference between being employed as an apprentice and a ‘normal’ employee.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss any specific concerns you have about this. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.