29905560

Having my job down graded by my manager slowly taking my

Customer Question

Having my job down graded by my manager slowly taking my responsibly away in my job roll I am feeling humiliated In front of my work colleges
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: My job is dealing with contractors and building management however my manager is always over riding my decisions he has told various contractors to just deal with him
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 days ago.

How long have you worked there for?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - How long have you worked there for?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
17 years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 days ago.

Are these duties stipulated in your contract?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Are these duties stipulated in your contract please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

It would appear your employer is varying your contract of employment. There are a few ways in which an employer may try and make changes to an employee’s contract of employment. These are by:

· Receiving the employee’s express consent to the changes.

· Forcefully introducing the changes (called 'unilateral change of contract').

· Giving the employee notice to terminate their current contract and then offer them immediate re-engagement under a new contract that contains the new terms.

If the changes are introduced without the employee's consent, then the following options are available:

1. Start working on the new terms but making it clear in writing that you are working ‘under protest’. This means that you do not agree with the changes but feel forced to do so. In the meantime you should try and resolve the issue either by informal discussions or by raising a formal grievance.

2. If the changes fundamentally impact the contract, for example changes to pay, duties, place of work, etc., you may wish to consider resigning and claiming constructive dismissal. The resignation must be done without unreasonable delay so as not to give the impression that the changes had been accepted. The claim must be submitted in an employment tribunal within 3 months of resigning and is subject to you having at least 2 years' continuous service. You would then seek compensation for loss of earnings resulting from the employer's actions.

3. If the employment is terminated and the employer offers re-engagement on the new terms that could potentially amount to unfair dismissal. However, the employer can try and justify the dismissal and the changes if they had a sound business reason for doing so. This could be pressing business needs requiring drastic changes for the company to survive. If no such reason exists, you can make a claim for unfair dismissal in an employment tribunal. The same time limit of 3 months to claim and the requirement to have 2 years' continuous would apply.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the constructive dismissal option and how you can apply it here. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.