29905560

Unpaid lunch breaks at work. Assistant: Thank you. Can you

Customer Question

Unpaid lunch breaks at work.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I understand that some people in my work place get paid and extra half hour due to the European Law around unpaid breaks. Sorry I said lunch its the 15 minutes in the morning and then 15 minutes in the afternoon. So I have been seeking to get this arrangement for my team members and I am being told that they already get it paid. When my job was advertised it had a salary attached. I was lead to believe this salary was for working 37.5 hours per week. At not time was it explained that it was actually for 40 hours which they are now saying. Basically your work 37.5 and get paid for 40. I this not false advertisement of a salary attached to a job. This means that working out your hourly rate based on that salary would mean that you are getting paid less per hour. Sorry hope this explains the situation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Please can you tell me how long your lunch break is for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a one hour lunch break however am not entitled to any breaks. Sorry I may have confused by saying lunch however its actual additional breaks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sorry are you still there Ben
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I have been communicating with Ben. I have paid my money by paypal and now there doesn't seem to be anyone talking to me now

Apologies for the slight delay and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. The law on breaks is that a worker is entitled to a 20 minute break for every 6 hours of work. Therefore, until someone works over 12 hours, they would still only be entitled to the one 20 minute break. So there is no requirement to have 15 min in the morning or in the afternoon. Your 20 minutes break can be included in your lunch break in the middle of the day and does not have to be paid. Therefore, it is entirely legal to have just an hour’s break in a working day under 12 hours and not be paid for it, plus not to have any other breaks in the working day. This already gives you three times the break entitlement you are due under law because you only get 20 mins anyway. Are you saying that you are not getting your legal entitlement to breaks?