29905560

Im a lorry driver working for a agency.2 years ago I got 6

Customer Question

Hello. Im a lorry driver working for a agency.2 years ago I got 6 point on my license, because i forgot to renew my insurance. About 2 weeks ago at work i accidentally broke a garage door.They had to get it fixed for 3500. Now the agency want me to pay that amount, because they saying: because i had this insurance issue in the past they couldn't insure me. I have a feeling it not right. Do you think its genuine?? Kind regards Zsolt
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry for my bad english :)

So to confirm, the agency are asking you to pay the cost of fixing the door because of your insurance, but what exactly would your insurance have covered; would it have been for driving the lorry only?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As fa s as I know. They have to have insurance for ppl because they are agency. I don't think i have to be insured for driving lorry. They also said, because i have six point on my license (not paying insurance on my own vehicle), they couldn't insure me. So why they took risk then?? I think there insurance covers the damage, they just try to get money out of me.But i don't know the law.Thank you

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. This is a difficult one because it is not necessarily a legal issue. What I mean is there is no law which says that if you have had insurance problems in the past you cannot be insured. This is an insurance matter where the insurance company decides what criteria it needs to allow it to provide insurance. So it is entirely down to that company as to whether your past issues will affect their ability to insure you. Therefore you would really need to be asking them about this, rather than looking at the law. As the company may not be willing to talk to you as their policy is with the employer you should ask the employer for evidence that what they are saying is indeed true. Make it clear that until they have that evidence you are not even going to consider paying anything as you have no way of knowing I what they are claiming is correct or not.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

My response to your query should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to it? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can still answer follow up questions after that if needed. Thank you