michael holly
michael holly, Solicitor
Experience:  Over 20 years experience of dealing with employment law matters and qualified mediator
12609314

I've been in a job 7 days and want to resign without working

I've been in a job 7 days and want to resign without working any notice period. Is there anything my employer can do if I just don't turn up?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't mean just not turn up - I will hand a letter of resignation in that will say I'm resigning with effect from … (that days date) & I will then not turn up to work afterwards
Expert:  michael holly replied 1 month ago.

Have you signed a contract of employment and, if so , what notice period are you supposed to give?

What are the reasons why you are leaving?

Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have signed contract yes, says 2 months notice but got a feeling while in probationary period it's not that - I can't find anything that states anything else but got a feeling it's 2 weeks.
I just don't like the job - there will be too much pressure & stress. More than I can handle.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a £15,500pa clerical assistant job in a reasonable sized firm. I think me staying on would be more of a hinderance as dont fully know what I'm doing yet.

The notice period is usually shorter in any probationary period.

I think the key is that they are unlikely to want someone who has quickly realised that the job is not for them hanging about disgruntled for 2 months.

I would speak informally with your manager or someone approachable first before deciding your next move. If you were to simply decide to leave after,say, a week there is little they can do. You would be in breach of contract but they are unlikely to suffer any loss as they save your wages. The main concern is that if you do something without their agreement you will not get a good reference.

I hope this assists. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly either accept my answer or rate it on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Michael, that's kind of what I thought but wanted confirmation. I'm not bothered about a reference from them so will not include it on my cv, was made redundant from my previous job so can just tell a little lie & extend my unemployment period. I think I'm doing them a favour leaving as soon as I've realised it's not for me, before they invest any more time & training on me. Thank you again