Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I paid £4000 to do a 4 week dog grooming course, I then

Customer Question

I paid £4000 to do a 4 week dog grooming course, I then learnt that the business also charged the clients for the grooms I did during the course, this seems very unfair to me but is it legal?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Does this company introduce you to the clients? Kind Regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi, thanks for your time.They didn't introduce us to clients but it's clear they are a training facility.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. They can't charge you for clients that you find - on what grounds do they justify the charge - is it in their terms and conditions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think you've misunderstood- they charge the £4000 fee to provide the training to become a qualified dog groomer but they then also charge other members of the public to groom their dogs and have the trainees groom them to 'practice' on. I understand they need dogs to practice on but surely they shouldn't be able to charge the members of public for the groom that the trainees do also.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. I see so essentially you are in competition with them? Do they only use trainees? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
https://groomarts.com/assets/images/GroomArts-Course-Booking-Terms-and-Conditions-092016.pdfThis is their terms and conditions for booking a course - no mention I can see of charging customers for grooms
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. I will review this and revert to you later today. Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No essentially I'm not in competition with them and what difference would that have on what the law states? Also, I asked for an immediate response, so how much later today will you get back to me?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you - I have reviewed the terms and conditions and there is nothing in the terms and conditions that prevent them from selling practice services. When they sold you the course did they say anything in writing that stated that they would not do this? The only claim you would have is they misled into buying the training course on the basis that they would not sell services themselves - is this what happened?