29905560

Following a disciplinary hearing with my previous employer,

Following a disciplinary hearing with my previous employer, I was given the choice to resign from my post with immediate effect rather than them terminate my employment. I have since applied and been offered a job with another company, who've now just requested a reference from my previous employer for a second time and also suggested that I contact them myself in order to hurry them along as they're unable to give me a start date until they've received my reference. I am aware that most companies stick to the basics (start/finish date etc) when giving references, however I am concerned about what they could say about my reason for leaving. Can they say that they would've fired me if I hadn't resigned?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

What were the reasons for the potential disciplinary?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Gross misconduct
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Do you know if they will issue a reference?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm inclined to think so, they are a pretty large company, although I'm not 100% sure.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. In general, there is no legal obligation on employers to provide a reference for past employees, with the only exceptions being if there was a contractual obligation to do so or for very limited types of roles in the financial sector. It would also be discriminatory if a reference is refused because of someone’s age, gender, race, religion, disability, sexual orientation.

If an employer decides to issue a reference, they will automatically owe the subject a duty to take reasonable care in its preparation. This requires the employer to be accurate in the contents of the reference and ensure it is true, accurate and fair and does not provide a misleading impression.

Certain principles have been established through case law over the years when assessing the duty of care owed by the employer, as follows:

1. The main test is from the case of Lawton v BOC Transhield, which requires a court to ask whether a reasonably prudent employer would have expressed the opinions which were stated in that particular reference and to ensure the accuracy of the facts upon which any opinion expressed in the reference was based.

2. In the case of Bartholomew v London Borough of Hackney the employer provided a reference which contained details of disciplinary proceedings pending at the time the employee left. The court decided that the employer had not breached its duty of care by providing such a reference as it would have a duty to provide a reference that is true, accurate and fair and does not present facts so as to give a misleading impression overall. Therefore, if the employer had not included details of the disciplinary proceedings it would have failed in its duty to the prospective employer to provide a reference that was not unfair or misleading.

3. In the case of Cox v Sun Alliance Life Ltd the employer provided a reference that contained details of an employee's alleged misconduct. However, they did not properly investigate these before providing the reference and the employee challenged the information in it. The court decided that an employer will be negligent in providing a reference that refers to an employee’s misconduct unless the employer had carried out a reasonable investigation and had grounds for believing that the misconduct had taken place. Conversely, had they referred to the alleged misconduct but stated it had not been investigated, it would have been acceptable as that would have been a fair and accurate description.

So if it is obvious that incorrect facts have been relied on or the contents are false or misleading, the employee could consider taking the matter further.

However, if the reference contained reasonable details about what had happened, and in case of a disciplinary, they had been properly investigated, then it is indeed potentially possible for them to include details of what had happened in the lead up to your resignation.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you