29905560

My daughter has been involved in theft from her place of

My daughter has been involved in theft from her place of work I.e
She started working at a retail store 6 weeks ago and previous staff members were in the habit of buying things but scanning cheaper products instead. She unwittingly become an accomplice and bought goods for less then they were.
She now has an internal inquiry but the concern is that ... will the police be involved and will she get a criminal record ?
She's only 21 and in her final year at university
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Have the other employees been reported to the police?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
As far as we aware they have
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

What is the value of the items involved?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
In total .... she probably benefited by £100-£120 at the most
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have requested a phone call .... would make it much easier to explain and understand
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Unfortunately I am not available for calls at present

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

I will provide my response here shortly

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I spoke to the store manager and explained that this was totally out of character and was willing to reimburse... pay any costs etc
We just don't want her to have a criminal record.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

Ok so whether this goes further to the police is entirely down to the employer. They have the full right to decide if it is something which they want to deal with internally or if they wanted to report it to the police. Once with the police, it is very much in their hands and they decide on what happens next, they investigate and they issue the appropriate penalty.

Considering what has happened, this offence will be at the lower end of culpability and harm suffered so it will be dealt with most likely with a caution or fine. A caution is not a criminal record as such but a fine will officially mean one. The fine does become ‘spent’ after a year though so there should be no long-term repercussions from this.

The best way to avoid this going to the police is indeed to plead with the employer, it is best not only that you ask they drop this, but that she goes and faces the music herself - offers a personal apology, perhaps explain why she did what she did and plead that she is given a second chance. She obviously cannot expect to keep her job but at least she should be given the chance to learn from this and not get a black mark, not only on her employment record but criminal one as well.

So in conclusion it is entirely down to the employer and how they wish to deal with this - all you can do is plead with them not to take it further and just stick with the internal disciplinary process - the rest is down to them.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
She has pleaded with them and apologised profusely.
The manager seems to like her but the matter has been passed to the police.
Will this affect her place at university?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ps
Where do I rate this service ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 29 days ago.

there should be an option at the top of the page I think - you select the stars