taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have a disciplinary today. I was only sent the evidence

I have a disciplinary today. I was only sent the evidence against me yesterday giving me just 24 hours to consider a response to the allegations. I have also joined a trade union who I would like to take over the handling of this.At the moment I do not have a union representative allocated so need additional time for the rep to consider a response.Am I legally entitled to adjourn the meeting without fear of my employer carrying on the process in my absence? What would be the maximum permitted time for an adjournment?I am currently suspended, but my employer has not followed the correct investigation process and does not appear to be at all interested in me refuting the claims.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi JennyThank you for your speedy response. I have been employed there for a little over five years.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** no problem with asking for the disciplinary to be postponed. There is a legal right for a postponement of a maximum of 5 working days. It might be a good idea to check your representatives availability prior to requesting the postponement.

Is there anything further you would like to know?

If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.

Expert:  taratill replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's wonderful new as I do not feel ready, so knowing its a legal right to ask for a postponement is very helpful.Thank you for your assistance.