29905560

I started a job 3 months ago and was on a 3 month probation

Customer Question

Hi I started a job 3 months ago and was on a 3 month probation period during the 3 months either party can give a weeks notice after the 3 months each party has to give 3 months notice. The day before the 3 months they ended my contract and have me a weeks notice. I have had no reviews in the 3 months with my line manager so had no indication that they were not happy can they do this?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

So what reason did they provide for ending your contract?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They said they just didn't think that it was working and that they wanted me to be more hands on with the team that I was managing
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Can you give me any advice?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 19 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience. As you had less than 2 years’ service with them , you have no protection against unfair dismissal. This means that the employer could have dismissed you for more or less any reason and without following a fair procedure, as long as it was not linked to discrimination (e.g. because of your race, gender, religion, disability, etc). Assuming none of these exceptions applied, they could have easily dismissed you by simply giving you the required notice period under contract. As you were still in the probationary period (even though it was nearly the end of it), you would have still only been entitled to a week’s notice by them, which they have given you. As such they have fulfilled their contractual obligations on termination and as you do not have any further unfair dismissal protection, you won’t be able to challenge this any further.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks