29905560

I resigned from a job in August 2017. I was placed on garden

Customer Question

I resigned from a job in August 2017. I was placed on garden leave for my one month notice period. I was advised to take my remaining 7 days of annual leave during garden leave, which I did. However, after recalculating annual leave, my employer and I discovered I was entitled to 9 days AL. They are now saying that the 2 days owed will be applied retrospectively to my garden leave, even though I am no longer an employee, and I prefer to be paid for these two days. Am I able to insist on being paid instead?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

Did the contract have a garden leave clause?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
the garden leave itself was 'lawful' and I did interrogate the contract to make sure.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 23 days ago.

Were you specifically told that you need to take 7 days leave or were you told you need to take all your remaining leave, without a specific number of days being mentioned?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I was sent a letter two days after being placed on Garden Leave setting out the terms, and it included the paragraph:
"Please note any prorated holiday entitlement should be taken during this period of garden leave. You currently have 7 days outstanding. Accordingly, you should clear any holiday absence with Mr X in advance"
Hope this helps.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 22 days ago.

Thank you. The employer cannot retrospectively assign leave because by law they have a legal duty to give you sufficient notice to take the leave. This is something that is defined under the Working Time Regulations 1998. They state that if an employer wanted an employee to take leave on specified dates, they must give the employee specifically told you that you have to take 7 days’ notice and gave you notice of that in advance, that is the length of holiday that you would have been required to take. If they later found out that you had extra holidays due to you, they cannot retrospectively attach them to the holidays already taken as they would not have satisfies the notice criteria required by law. If they found out whilst you were still employed by them and you still had enough time left to allow them to satisfy the notice period requirements (4 days’ notice for 2 days’ leave), then they could have asked you to take them whilst still employed there. However, if they only found out about this after your employment had terminated, you would be entitled to be paid for these days.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss how you can take this further in the event they refuse to pay you. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** most helpful. As a final question, in terms of enforcing this should they continue to refuse, would you recommend following the ACAS procedure and using an Employment Tribunal, or do you think taking this to the Small Claims Court as a breach of contract is a better option? I understand there are time limits and a more convoluted process attached to the Employment Tribunal route, and of course costs associated with raising a Small Claim at court.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 20 days ago.

You cannot actually make a claim for holiday pay in the small claims court any more so it will have to be the tribunal route. It is free at least...

As you noted, before a person can make a claim in the employment tribunal, they would be required to participate in mandatory early conciliation through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the claimant and respondent to agree on an out of court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in tribunal. The respondent does not have to engage in these discussions, or if they do and the talks are unsuccessful, the claimant will be issued with a certificate allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be agreed as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

To initiate the conciliation procedure ACAS can be contacted online by filling in the following form (https://ec.acas.org.uk/Submission/SingleClaimantPage), or by phone on 0300(###) ###-####