Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I asked another question but have received no reply yet. I

Customer Question

I asked another question but have received no reply yet. I have been doing further research into my thyroid bloodwork.

It seems my TgAB are possibly elevated. They are 58 IU/ml. But the confusing thing is that I see stats somewhere that the normal range is up to 4.11 and other stats saying the normal range is up to 115. Units are the same: IU/ml.

Which is correct and why the discrepancy?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Was this the only abnormal thyroid blood test?
What was the clinical reason for performing the test?
I assume that the lab report did not say the normal range for the lab that did the test, correct?

I had asked for some additional information, but have not heard back, so wanted to provide the level of answer that can be provided.

The normal level for anti-thyroglobin antibodies in our reference lab is <116 IU/ml.

It is true that there can be some level of variability in the normal range from one lab to another. If the lab provided a normal range, it would be appropriate to use their normal range, rather than the normal range from another lab.

If you cannot get clarification, the best information that can be provided is that a level of 58 IU/ml would be normal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Sorry I was not able to reply in real time, as I am in the UK.

I am still a little confused by it all as the ranges seem so different (4.11 vs 115 even though the units are the same), and my lab did flag 58 as high, but I guess I will just assume it's okay. My TSH is fine.

I can't speak to the reference range of 4.11 without knowing the source of that data. Do you recall where you saw that value?