911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

My 21 year old son has been diabetic since age 14. He has had

Customer Question

My 21 year old son has been diabetic since age 14. He has had the odd hypo but over the last 3 days he has had 6 hypos all below 3. He eats a sensible diet and always injects as directed. He is extremely lethargic, tired and rather irritable. He is very concerned there is something underlying as he feels so awful.

He would like some guidance as to where he should go next, contact his diabetes nurse, although he is very unlikely to get an appointment tomorrow or should he take himself to A & E, although again there is unlikely to be a diabetes specialist on duty at this time of the night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mary
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.
I'm an ER doctor. Take him to the ER, do not delay. There may or may not be something underlying... doesn't matter... fact is he is diabetic and does not feel well. If he is hypoglycemic and not responding to increased sugar intake he needs to go to A and E. If he has an underlying illness, as you know, he is in danger from both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia during the acute illness. I am not sure if you have seen him in diabetic ketoacidosis before, but this is VERY dangerous, and the opposite end of the spectrum from hypoglycemia.

In the ER the docs are experts at sorting this out. He doesn't need a diabetic specialist right now, he needs an emergency specialist who knows the emergencies associated with the disease of diabetes.

Please take him now. This is your best option. Waiting is not an option. Something is not right. He needs a thorough exam, and specific labs now. He may need to be admitted. Please do not delay and take him there now or call an ambulance.

911doc