Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

hi, I have been diagnosed with pcos by gynocologist and I have

Customer Question

hi, I have been diagnosed with pcos by gynocologist and I have a few issues which I can't control my hair is thinning it comes out a lot when i brush I also get random sores on my scalp bald patches. pleeease help I want the sores to stop and my hair to be healthy again. I have asked my GP for help but she says the symptoms will go with weight loss. I would like to know what causes these sores on scalp in pcos so I can stop them randomly appearing.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Have you had thyroid studies

If so, what is the TSH value?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I am sorry you have polycystic ovarian syndrome.

these sores on your scalp could be from psoriasis or alopecia areata.

you need a biopsy of one of these sores on your scalp to help with diagnosis. this is best done by a dermatology doctor. these sores may not be related to your PCOS. you should see a dermatology expert and an endocrinology doctor as well to get your pituitary hormones checked and thyroid hormone levels checked. thyroid imbalance can also affect hair loss as well.

are you willing to see a dermatologist and get a scalp biopsy?

your primary care doctor should be willing to refer you to see a dermatologist.