tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
18722459

Racing heart, nervous, panic, tired. All the time and deteriorate

Racing heart, nervous, panic, tired. All the time and deteriorate thru the day.
I am 48 female. Could be overactive thyroid or symptoms of menopause?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and do you have any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other medical conditions. Just taking contraceptive pill.

Symptoms seem to have started 6 months ago. Have a healthy diet and not overweight.
But the racing heart and anxiety are now quite life controlling.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No other medical history. Only taking contraceptive pill. But these symptoms stared about 6 months ago and I have tried every option myself. Healthy diet, relaxing, holidays. Not overweight.
Yet stii I live with dizzy fuzzy head, racing heart, feeling nervous and depressed.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay Joanne. Have you seen a doctor and had any tests to evaluate this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not yet. Hoping you can confirm my symptoms one way or another. Am just trying to find some answers to why I have this dizzy feeling all the time
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK Please go over with me in detail all your symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Light headed, and racing heart, usually deteriorates throughout the day. High feelings of anxiety, probably that increases my feelings of panic. Hands shaking.
Not to the point that I cannot go out, but I am aware that I have to be in control of my movements all the time.
Takes huge concentration . I work full time, but have had to reduce my hours to try and cope or find a solution ..
Tired all the time, feel sad and depressed. On occasion have gone to bed in the afternoon.
This is all very unusual for me.
I am fit and healthy, have a good relationship, family friends.
This is out of character.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
And how long has this been going on? And is all this present from the moment you wake up and continues throughout the entire day?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Started back in June 2013. When I first realised I was getting dizzy spells. But over months thought it was my age. Maybe start of menopause. But no hot flushes or night sweats. Tried to work out for myself what is causing it.
But as time goes on I realise that racing heart and lightheaded ness is every day. Seems to get worse as the day goes on. Till I go to bed.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK Joanne--just wanted to make sure this wasn't an anxiety problem but I'm sure now it isn't. This definitely sounds like hyperthyroidism and you need to see an endocrinologist for testing since you may have either Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Grave's disease. Some of this may also be from menopause so you need to have your hormone levels checked. This is serious and needs to be addressed as soon as possible so please don't delay getting checked and let me know how it goes for you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will visit my GP for a consultation.
And presume a blood test can confirm or deny my concerns.
Thankyou for advice.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--you'll need the blood work and an ultrasound of your thyroid. Keep me posted and please remember to rate my service to you