Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

I had a blood test while in India because of my seriously swollen

Customer Question

I had a blood test while in India because of my seriously swollen feet. They've been swollen mow for about 3 years. They swell up really badly after long journeys and in the heat. I was in India for a month and the swelling never went down. I was doing detox and yoga, no smoking or drinking. Back here in England now. My swollen feet have gone down a lot but now they're freezing all the time. I can't tolerate the cold and am tired and depressed a lot.
The results of my blood test in India have led the aruyvedic doctor their to believe I am hypothyrodic. I have been reading a lot about it since coming back. It certainly explains a lot of my symptoms. Here are the results of my blood test with the reference range in brackets T3 - 73ng/dl (60-180)
T4 - 4.8ug/dl (3.2-12.6)
TSH - 0.81 ulU/ml (0.35-5.5)

After researching these results I also notice that there may be a problem with the pituitary gland as it is not producing enough TSH in order to combat the low T3 and T4 levels.
Would I benefit from hormone treatment for this?
Category: Endocrinology