Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, My 25yr daughter has suffered from achne since she was

Customer Question

Hi, My 25yr daughter has suffered from achne since she was a teenager. She has been on the contraceptive pill dianette for almost 10 years and when she comes off it her symptoms get much worse. She also has some facial hair growth. Over the past few months she has become anxious which is out of character for her. She is getting alot of headaches and also has difficulty sleeping. Some nights even after taking a sleeping tablet she still can't sleep. She had some tests done for polycystic ovaries which came up negative but a new GP she visited recently told her the tests would not be accurate when she is taking the pill. He also said that she could have Cushings disease. What do you think. She is under alot of stress at the moment because she is studying of her law exams.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

it sonds like she has a bad case of polycystic ovarian syndrome

her ovaries are producing too much androgen which is causing her poor sleep and hair growth.

she needs to be checked for polycystic ovarian syndrome again off of her birth control pills and also for cushings disease as well.

she needs to consult with a good endocrinologist.

androgen levels will be high for polycystic ovarian syndrome

cortisol levels will be high and ACTH levels will be low with cushings disease.

an endocrinology doctor can test for both of these issues

let me know if you have other questions.