tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
18722459

Climera 50 patches and epilepsy, I take tegretol and phenytoin

Customer Question

Climera 50 patches and epilepsy, I take tegretol and phenytoin and getting misleading information
One endicrinologist says no prob with eastrogen, but wasn't too confident in her answer

I am transgender, been to gender I'd clinic but no straight answer
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what type of epilepsy do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Think tonic clonic
I used to get told it was temporal lobe, I don't think I lose consciousness during a fit, but I sleep afterwards, been I while since last full siezure
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK. Two points here. Climera (estradiol) can affect the activity of both your tegretol and phenytoin and it can lower blood levels, so although it can be used in your situation, you'd need close observations of your levels. Second--some studies show that estradiol itself may raise seizure risk in persons with epilepsy. So I would check with a neurologist before I placed you on the Climera
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you think I will as it's not an easy decision to make and although a few friends take eastradoil they don't have tha epilepsy although it is controlled I don't want to go through it agin.

I'm careful with all medicines over the counter, prescription or with decision to self medicate

Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Andi but still check with a neurologist since I'm not say that absolutely you can't use Climera--just that caution has to be observed with that. Another possibility for you would be bioidentical vagina cream hormones