Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Thyroid nodule

Hi had an ultrasound yesterday and my doctor phones me today advising they have found a well defined single nodule and that i need to follow up with a visit to the ENT and also have bloods taken. naturally i am concerned. Can you advise if these findings are moreover normal and if well defined verses ill-defined is in my favour? cheers

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--why was the ultrasound done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

?? thyroid ultra sound? thats why it was done ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Hi there,
Would you like me to help you out with your questions?
Can you please let me know what your symptoms were before you were suggested to have an ultrasound done?
What kind of blood tests, if any, have been suggested?
Do you have any other medical problems?
Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Initially i went in to see gp with a lump in the left side about 1 inch above adams apple but over to the left..my throat moves from left to right (in place) and i can feel my larynx make noise as i manoeuvre it back in place almost dislocated but no pain and had no trauma? this is why i went in to doctors. But GP thought this was just cartilage? but on further examination mentioned to me that she felt my thyroid was not right and best go for ultrasound. On the results of ultrasound they found a well defined single nodule 1.8mm but on the right side?? the opposite side to what i went to doctors for? i am awaiting blood tests for thyroid function and have to go see ear nose throat specialist within two week period.

medicines i take are ventolin and no other medical problems at all

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
The most likely cause of such a nodule would be a lymph node. A well defined nodule, at the location that you mention, would go more in favor of something benign like a lymph node or a benign (harmless) nodule.
If it were ill defined it may have favored something serious like cancer.
The nodule at 1.8 mm is very small indeed and if your thyroid function tests are normal and if the nodule is causing you no problems I would just leave it and do nothing about it.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done asking.
Kindest Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you understand that the lump they found was on my thyroid right hand side, right?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes I do understand that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

oh im eternally sorry the measurement is not 1.8mm it is 1.8 cm!!

..i dont suppose you have an idea what the original problem on the left side could be? could that be cartlidge overgrown ?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I still think its a lymph node and the best way to find out for sure is to have a biopsy of it done.
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine