tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
18722459

I saw my doctor today, because it seemed to me that I had some

I saw my doctor today, because it seemed to me that I had some swelling in my neck, that could potentially be goitre. He felt my neck and confirmed that there was slight enlargement of the thyroid, but didn't feel that it needed further investigation. My thyroid function was tested in March, and came back normal. Because of that, he didn't feel that I needed any further investigation. I'm concerned because nine years ago I had to see a consultant about autoimmune thyroiditis, which over a 12 month period went from over active to under active, then back into the normal range. I was monitored by the consultant during that period. I can't help thinking that there is enough grounds here for further investigation. What do you think?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi Sorry for the delay but your question was only now directed to me. At this point I don't think there's much need for worry but I would get a thyroid ultrasound to evaluated the actual size of the gland and to look for any nodules that might indicate a goiter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--what other information would you like me to give you here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know you are UK based? If not, unfortunately it's not as simple as just getting a thyroid ultrasound - I don't have the right to request one, and my GP will only send me for one if he considers it is merited. I guess, before I make a fuss, and try to force any further tests, I wanted to know what scenarios I could be looking at, and whether you felt my case definitely merited further investigation. The thyroid function test in the UK only looks at TSH levels - is that sufficient, when a goitre is present, and theres past history of thyroid trouble?
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
OK--I fully understand. What to do in that case would be to ask your doctor to do a full thyroid panel including T3, T4, and thyroid antibodies to look for Hashimoto's thyroiditis which I don't think you have now but just to be sure. If all that is normal then there's no need for the ultrasound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. This was my concern, as I have several of the symptoms:
Fatigue
Feeling cold
Joint and muscle pain
Constipation
Heavy menstrual flow
But as I also have other problems that could account for these symptoms (CFS, fibromyalgia, and PCOS), I'm always reticent of pushing my GP for tests. I just needed to know what ground I was on, before going back.
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
One thing here--according to newer guidelines, Unless your TSH is well below 3.0--say at least 2.5 or lower--with those symptoms you'd be considered hypothyroid and would need thyroid supplementation so check with your doctor about that. Let me know how things go and please remember to rate my service to you
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions