Dr Adi
Dr Adi, Professor
Experience:  Director of the Pediatric Diabetes Clinics at UCSF.
56602461

Is there any way to stop developing autoimmune conditions?

Customer Question

Is there any way to stop developing autoimmune conditions? I am 38 and have type 1 diabetes, Grave's disease, ulcerative Colitis, Coeliac and Osteopenia, and PCOS. I also have allergy asthma, but don't think that's autoimmune. Is there any way to 'calm' down the autoimmune system ... I just don't want to develop any more conditions!

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Adi replied 3 years ago.

Dr Adi :

Hi there,

I can see why you would be asking this question. Unfortunately, there is no treatment or any intervention currently to "calm down" your immune system. Your tendency to having all these conditions is primarily determined by your genetics. Like most autoimmune condition, the genetic makeup is what renders you susceptible, then a trigger has to be present to initiate the process. In the majority of cases we do not know what those environmental triggers are (otherwise we would have solved half the story).

Not to be too negative, but it is the reality. However, there is tremendous research being done and you will eventually see some advances that will lead to some therapies.

I hope this helps.