Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Continuous "fight/flight"

Customer Question

My partner has a continuous "fight, flight" feeling almost all the time and seems to be suffering from an excess of adrenaline. Also, I suspect, an excess of cortisol as her shape has changed. She had a thyroid growth removed from her neck about two years ago (benign) which didn't compromise the actual thyroid. She has had the 24 hour urine test with high results and has been referred "urgently" by her GP to see an endocrinologist. Unfortunately" urgent" in the area is a minimum of six weeks. She has some stomach discomfort (not pain). She has had problems controlling her body temperature since menopause but I think it is getting worse. I suppose I am worried about something on the adrenal gland. I know you can't possibly diagnose from a distance - but from what I have said - should we maybe try to get the tests done privately - or should we not be so worried?

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
I think that with the symptoms that she is having, he should have his thyroid function checked. A high level of thyroid hormones can cause one to have these symptoms so that is the first test that I would do.
There is a possibility of recurrence of the thyroid growth releasing excessive thyroid hormone.
A high level of cortisol would usually not cause these kind of symptoms.
High cortisol usually presents with high blood pressure, weight gain that is more in the abdominal area and so forth.
So I do not think that these symptoms are due to high cortisol.
I would also like that she should have an EKG done as well to make sure that is normal.
I would also like to have her routine tests done to check liver, kidney function and a complete blood count to have a look at her hemoglobin.