tazechip
tazechip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified in general practice with years of experience treating diabetics with multiple other medical conditions
18722459

I take low dose Levothyroxine for Hashimotos disease (Hypothyroidism)

I take low dose Levothyroxine for Hashimotos disease (Hypothyroidism) with TSH of 6.62 and free T4 of 10, but doctor wants dose increased. I suffer severe heart 'thumping' (as well as severe sleeplessness and depression) when the dose is increased.....is this dangerous for my heart?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  tazechip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Your TSH really should be kept near to the 1.0 mark and I would suggest this be done with Armour Thyroid rather than the Levothyroxine to prevent your heart problems. Increasing the dose of the Levo isn't really dangerous to your heart but the Armour Thyroid will treat your hypothyroidism without giving you the heart or the sleeplessness problem