DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

nodule/thyroid

Customer Question

I have a 1.8cm well differentiated single nodule/thyroid. So far I have had 1 ultrasound which identified the nodule and 1 ultrasound with FNA. The FNA as expected resulted in an inconclusive report, these FNA methods are so flawed they are futile in many cases. When I went to the appointment with ENT to discuss the above results, immediately he insisted on the removal of the nodule with operation! and wanted to rush me in in only 12 days?? I queried this and asked was there any evidence in the results that suggest cancer? to this he replied " thats the problem" we do not know unless we operate then send for pathology. After much research i have found that over 50% of the population have a thyroid nodule and that of those 95% are benign!! im flabbergasted that a professional would want to deem it necessary to preform a removal of a major gland given the " no evidence of cancer results" your sound advice please?

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
The doctor is correct.
A larger nodule that is equivocal and not definitive on fna is typically removed.
As a higher percentage of those are cancer.

OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.