Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

thyroid nodule

I have a 1.8cm well differentiated single nodule/thyroid. So far I have had 1 ultrasound which identified the nodule and 1 ultrasound with FNA. The FNA as expected resulted in an inconclusive report, these FNA methods are so flawed they are futile in many cases. When I went to the appointment with ENT to discuss the above results, immediately he insisted on the removal of the nodule with operation! and wanted to rush me in in only 12 days?? I queried this and asked was there any evidence in the results that suggest cancer? to this he replied " thats the problem" we do not know unless we operate then send for pathology. After much research i have found that over 50% of the population have a thyroid nodule and that of those 95% are benign!! im flabbergasted that a professional would want to deem it necessary to preform a removal of a major gland given the " no evidence of cancer results" your sound advice please?

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there,

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I will be helping you out with your concerns.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand that you are in a lot of anxiety because of this nodule and I would have felt the same way if I were you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

FNAc test, especially of the thyroid nodule can be quite frustrating because quite often its inconclusive.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I agree that in the vast majority of cases the thyroid nodule is benign.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would have also done a thyroid scan done before deciding on surgery.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If the thyroid scan demonstrates a 'cold' nodule then I would have proceeded with removing the nodule.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The FNAc results are often inconclusive because the cells of follicular adenoma and follicular carcinoma appear the same and since capsule invasion cannot be seen on FNAc alone we have to have the nodule removed as a whole to see if there is capsule invasion going on. Its only when capsular invasion is seen on microscope is cancer is declared and that cannot be conclusively decided without removing the whole of the nodule.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I have answered your question above.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already know all this information
However concerned that no instruction
For a second fna was given as an alternative to
Operation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also have never had an iodine uptake ?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is what I am talking about i.e. the iodine uptake.
You should have that test done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fna second test result was thy3f
And surgeon wants to remove Haf my thyroid for pathology

Since my first referral 7 months have passed and no change in size of nodule , I'm of the thought that this must be a good sign ?

The only problem I hsve is my thyroid does ache from the centre and just at top of my esophugous feels tender intermittently
I explained this to the surgeon consultant and he said he didn't know if related to the nodule or not ?

Any advice ?