Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am currently suffering from hair loss and a condition called

Customer Question

I am currently suffering from hair loss and a condition called lichen sclerosis (et atrophicus. ) Could these two conditions be related and are they as a result of hormone imbalance?

When can I expect a response ?

Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 2 years ago.
No
They are generally not related.

Where is the lichen sclerosis exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is on my vulva and is very distressing and uncomfortable. Could there be a link to thyroid issues.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is on the vulva area and is very distressing and uncomfortable. Could the hair loss and this condition be auto immune related or undiagnosed side effects of thyroid problems?

No
There is no direct known link.
What was your most recent TSH?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had a general thyroid test which was within the acceptable scales.

That is not enough.
The acceptable scale is too wide.
Do you know the TSH value?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I don't know the value and I was not asked to fast before the test so did have a cup of tea with milk.

It is not a fasting test.

These are two separate conditions.

Your thyroid has nothing to do with the lichen sclerosis.

Are they both autoimmune problems....yes.

Do we know a single cause....no.

I think you have a more specific question perhaps?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could the hair loss be thyroid related?
Yes
Both hypo and hyperthyroid can cause hair loss.

Particularly hypo.

The condition is often undertreated.
The normal range of TSH is from .5 to 4.5 in most labs.
However, over 2.5 is clearly hypothyroid, and for treated patients, an optimal TSH is around .8.

So, many patients are undertreated.

Many "normal" patients actually have a TSH over 2.5, and might have hair loss due to hypothyrodism.

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Did you have further questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If thyroid is Ok what other reason is there for hair loss and what treatment.

It is most likely thyroid, and treatment would be replacement.
But, it can be hormonal imbalance of another type, sex hormones, or adrenal hormones, both can be checked and corrected if needed.
Iron deficiency, replace iron.
B vitamin deficiencies, replace them.
Vitamin D.
Autoimmune disease...usually that is hair loss in patches and is treated with steroids.

So, you really have to see your doctor and go over the possibilities.

Please do not forget a positive rating, or we do not get paid for our time.

Find me anytime.