Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am PA autoimmune, diagnosed and a letter from haemotolgy.So,

Customer Question

I am PA autoimmune, diagnosed and a letter from haemotolgy.
So, after having a fight with my doctor, whom ignored the letter and would not administer the injections, I had four weekly B12 injections since until this month.
I was supposed to of had my loading doses (for neurological symptoms) but they were never done.
When I questioned it, twice and challenged it, I was told by GP it was utter rubbish. No such thing.
I even showed him the BNF guidelines, to which he turned the paper work face down on his desk.
I then tried to tell him of all the symptoms I had relating to B12 deficiency/neurological symptoms, of which he dismissed with, that will be for a neurologist to decider.
My recent blood test came back with asterix beside some of the results were out of the range, he then ignored them. One being my parathyroid.
He then has changed my injections from four weekly to twelve weekly.
Which is making my symptoms much worse and more noticeable.
I did ask the nurse if she would show me how to administer.
She was happy to do so, if the doctor agreed to let her. She also said she would overlook the twelve weekly jab and keep it to four weekly, of which I was so happy and grateful.
When I went to speak to him, when wanted to discuss the blood test results that he dismissed as normal, no need to address, he said it would be ok for her to show me.
So I booked with nurse.
When I got to see the nurse, she said, no, she wouldn't do it. Said I wouldn't be able to perform as intramuscular injection?
She then went to see the doctor.
He said no. So after all, messing me about and wasting my time they both changed their minds and said no.
I explained that I would be out of the country and would not be back for the jab as I had to attend family business.
The nurse suggests I got a prescription for one ampule of hydroxocobalamin and get someone abroad to administer.
I said I did t have a doctor abroad as I not a resident or have a residentia .
She said well you won't be able to have it done unless you ask your family's doctor.
I am so disappointment and upset abou the way I have been treated and no been treated according to my symptoms as an individual.
I was also told some real none sense about them not wanting me to overdose!!!!!
You cannot over dose on hydroxocobalamin, it is water soluable.
The doctor is not only ignorant of PA but trying to fob me off with lies and hurdles.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I'd like a professional answer, as I paid the fee for a professional answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Or perhaps ask a neurologist????
Expert:  FamilyPhysician replied 3 years ago.
Research has shown that in most people oral B12 tablets are just as effective as injection. The B12 tablets are available without a prescription.
http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004655/oral-vitamin-b12-versus-intramuscular-vitamin-b12-for-vitamin-b12-deficiency

The oral tablets taken at the dose of 1000 to 2000 mcg per day has been documented to be effective in B12 deficiency irrespective of the cause. The amount of B12 in the diet is much lower, so even with absorption problems, this dose is usually more than adequate for treatment.

Here are some references on the treatment of B12 deficiency that specifically reference the issue of oral versus injection
http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0301/p979.html

Unfortunately, most physicians still rely on injections rather than oral B12 to treat B12 deficiency.

If you do have a low B12 level It is of course important for your physician to repeat your B12 level to be certain that the levels have returned to the normal range regardless of the type of supplement used.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot take oral tablets, I malabsorb.
I don't have the intrinsic factor.
I eat all the B12 foods, it makes little difference. My levels will stay low
I have now got all the neurological symptoms and issues and they're getting worse.
Sorry without appearing rude, it didn't answer my question or worries.
http://cks.nice.org.uk/anaemia-b12-and-folate-deficiency#!scenariorecommendation:4
I wear patches, but they only help witht the energy levels, in between my shots, they do not help or touch the neurological problems.
http://www.b12deficiency.info/life-savers/
Maybe you would be able to answer my worries and concerns and advice accordingly that is PA autoimmune and malabsorbs.
I will need injections for life for life.
Or can you recommend a endocrinologist test is more familiar with particular side of PA rather b12 deficient. Or a neurologist that is up to speed sign PA and symptoms, that, are if no treated accordingly in a timely manner will be irreversible damaged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Didn't really advise as an expert on PA
I am pay autoimmune and malabsorb
I've been working hard to find another Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
You appear to already be very knowledgeable about this problem.
What further information would be helpful?
This question appeared as pending expert action, but I do not see a response to my last request for information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ihaveto be knowledgeable in this as it affecting my health
And my future. I want to know the answers to my first question
In your original post, you provided much history, but it is not clear what question you are asking.

The only question mark in your original post is: "Said I wouldn't be able to perform as intramuscular injection?"

This is why I was looking for clarity on what information you are seeking.